Thursday, April 17, 2014

Easy Baked Eggplant Parmigiana


While eating out last week, I ordered Eggplant Parmigiana.  And it were good.  And I wanted some more.  But I just could not justify frying eggplant to make it.  So looking at a few recipes, I came up with a simple, baked version which takes just a few ingredients and minutes to make.  You could serve this with some spaghetti on the side, but I just ate the dish as it came out of the oven.

I don't have quantities for this recipe, I guess it's more for my own reference.  If you want to try it, make it to satisfy your appetite.  More/less sauce, more/less cheese.  Your preference.

EASY BAKED EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA (2-4 servings)

1 (1 pound) medium eggplant, sliced, about 1/4"
eggs, egg whites, or egg substitute
bread crumbs (I suggest using traditional breadcrumbs instead of Panko)
shredded Parmesan cheese
homemade or jarred pasta sauce
mozzarella or Italian-blend shredded cheese

Slice the eggplant.  Dip in the egg.  Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan.  Dip the egged eggplant into the breadcrumbs.

On a baking sheet, line with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.  Place the eggplant slices on it.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.  Turn the slices and bake for another 10 minutes.

Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.  Place the cooked eggplant slices in the dish.  Cover with pasta sauce and bake (covered) for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with mozzarella and additional parmesan, if desired, and cook (uncovered) for another 5 minutes or so until cheese is melted.

Recipe Source: adapted from "Weight Watchers: New 365 Day Menu Cookbook," p. 342

No comments:

Post a Comment