Monday, April 14, 2014

Olive and Tomato Tapenade


This was one of my favorite appetizers at a restaurant I worked in while living in Minnesota and the first recipe I wrote down while working there.  I'll eat a few bites of one and decide it's my favorite, then I'll eat a few bites of the other and declare that the second one is the best!  I guess that's why I've never made just one or the other.  They both get top billing in my book.

While probably not a kid-friendly appetizer, it would be great while having friends over for a glass of wine or maybe for your book club.  I do need a quality crostini so I always use a Panera Bread baguette.  Simply slice the baguette to the thickness of your chosing, mildly brush it with EVOO and bake in a 325F for 15 minutes and check.  I generally turn them over and bake until they are almost-completely dried out (I like a bit of a chew left in them), about another 10 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like them.

I have halved the original recipe and this amount is plenty for me.  The olive tapenade will last, well, a long, long time.  Depending on your tomatoes, I'll usually keep mine for up to a couple of weeks.

OLIVE and TOMATO TAPENADES


Olive Tapenade:
1/2 cup green olives, chopped
1 cup black olives, chopped
1/4 sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
1 cup artichoke hearts or bottoms, chopped
1 3/4 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup EVOO

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Keep refrigerated.

Tomato Tapenade:
5 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
2 Tbsp red onion, diced
2 Tbsp EVOO
1/4 to 1/2 lime juiced (depending on juiciness)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment