Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Grape Salad


I had this salad years ago when visiting Jim's dad in Texas.  I pretty much ate through the entire batch, it was so good.  And then I forgot about it until my friend, Sharon, told me about this grape salad she had just made.  I knew it had to be the same one and asked her to forward the recipe to me, which she did (thank you, friend!)

I would love to know the origin of this super-simple recipe.  It reminds me of something likely found in a 1950's or 60's church ladies cookbook.  The original recipe calls for 4 pounds of green grapes, but I quartered the entire recipe since they're just for me.  Also, I used 1/2 green and 1/2 red grapes for a prettier presentation.  And reduced-fat cream cheese and sour cream work great.

As hard as it might be, try not to eat them all as soon as you've made them...let them chill at least a couple of hours to allow the flavors to meld the the consistency to firm up. 

GRAPE SALAD

4 pounds of green grapes, stems removed and rinsed
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz chopped pecans
2 tsp brown sugar

Mix everything except the grapes until you have a creamy, smooth consistency.  Stir in grapes.  Chill several hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment