Sunday, July 13, 2014

Judy's Baked Beans


I have always, always, made the traditional Baked Beans that used to be on the backside of the label of VanCamp's Pork and Beans.  It is the recipe that my mom always made and the one Jim always asked for.  But when I ran across this for 4th of July recipes, I decided to try something a bit different.

This included using canned pineapple giving a sweetness in lieu of the molasses found in the other recipe.  It also uses cut-up kielbasa (really, were is the pork in VanCamp's outside of that disgusting little chunk of fat).

Iowagirl's recipe calls for 3 pounds of VC P&B (48 oz).  I cut the recipe in half and swear I found a 24 oz can, but when I went to their website, I only saw 8/15/31/53 (and higher) ounce cans.  So I can't tell you if I used the 15 oz or 31 oz can.  If you're making the entire recipe, I'd use the 53 oz can.

Also, for the steak sauce, she recommends A1 over Heinz 57.  I didn't have either so I used BBQ sauce.  Tasted fine to me.  As per usual, I increased the mustard because that's just how we roll around here!

JUDY'S BAKED BEANS (8-10 servings)

48 oz VanCamp's Pork & Beans
1 large onion, chopped
1 small can crushed pineapple, slightly drained
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp steak sauce
1 Tbsp mustard
1 package kielbasa, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used turkey kielbasa)
1/2 package bacon
3/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350F. 

Drain  some of the liquid off the top of the can of beans then mix with onion, crushed pineapple, brown sugar, steak sauce, mustard, and kielbasa in a large bowl. 

Pour mixture into a non-stick sprayed 9x13 baking dish then lay bacon strips across the top.  Spread ketchup on top of the bacon and bake for 2 hours, or until the top is deeply caramelized.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe Source: www.iowagirleats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment