Monday, August 11, 2014

Dessert Fig Toasts


Talk about a blast from the past!  Many, many years ago when Jim and I lived in San Antonio, I lived in Foodie Heaven.  We had one of only three Central Markets in Texas (the other two were in Austin and since they have added the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston markets to their locations).  This place was my hangout.  As a homemaker/newlywed who finally had the chance to spend her day in the kitchen preparing dinners for my sweetheart, I had a chance to discover foods I had never eaten or experimented with.  They had/have demos all over the store and I got to try foods that were so outside of my Oklahoma roots and I was having a blast (not to mention spending a fortune!)

I haven't made this since we lived in San Antonio because mascarpone cheese isn't an everyday indulgence....if you can even find it.  It's a bit pricey, but when I was in the market the other day, I ran across some thats expiration date was looming, so they had it half-priced.  I knew I could find another recipe to use the remaining cheese (and another market just so happened to have the figs at half price) and I just couldn't wait to try it again to see if it was as good as I remembered.

It was.  It is.  I can only imagine Caligula and other Romans sitting around indulging in this incredibly lucious treat.  Really, when I eat this, I feel like I should be in a toga having myself fanned!  The bread is crispy but chewy and then you have the creaminess of the mascarpone and that wonderful crunch/snap of the figs seeds.  Close your eyes and travel back in time....way, way back.

DESSERT FIG TOASTS (4 servings)

6 Tbsp mascarpone cheese
1 Tbsp sweet Marsala wine
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp + 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
6 slices coarse country bread (5" x 3")....I used Ciabatta
unsalted butter, at room temp
6 figs, sliced (they/I used Black Mission figs)

Preheat a broiler.  In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone, Marsala, and the 1 1/2 tsp sugar.  In another small bowl, stir together the 1 Tbsp sugar and the cinnamon.

Place the bread slices on a small baking sheet.  Broil until nicely toasted on the top.  Remove the bread from the broiler and turn the slices over.

Spread each slice with butter, then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon sugar, dividing it evenly.  Return to the broiler and broil until beginning to brown.

Remove from the broiler.  Spread about 1 Tbsp of the mascarpone mixture over each toast, top with the fig slices, arrange on a platter, and serve at once.

Togas and servants with fans are optional.

Recipe Source:  Central Market (4821 Broadway at Patterson, San Antonio, TX 78209)

No comments:

Post a Comment