Friday, September 5, 2014

Creamed Peas and New Potatoes


I don't know why this dish came to mind....I don't think I've eaten it in over 40 years.  It's a dish I used to ask my mother to make for me many years ago.  It was a lucious creamy sauce with soft new potatoes (from her mother's garden) and sweet peas.  I could make a meal out of it all by itself.

While the flavor was just as I remembered, I'm sure back in the 60's they didn't have lo-fat milk.  It was the full-on whole milk; therefore, hers was a bit thicker than the pot I made (I used 1%).  Who knows, she could have even used half-and-half.  So if you want it thicker you could either use a higher-fat content milk or up the roux (butter and flour) by 50% or so.  But again, the flavor is simple and reminiscent: buttery, creamy, with a touch of S&P.  It was like stepping back in time.

CREAMED PEAS and NEW POTATOES (4 servings)

1 pound baby red potatoes, quartered
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp AP flour
S&P to taste
1 cup milk

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.  Boil potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.  Drain.

Using the same pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in flour to make a thick paste; gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.  Season with S&P to taste.  Add cooked potatoes and thawed peas to the sauce; simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment