Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Espresso Mint Cookies




This is a re-post but it is also the only time of year you can pick up these seasonal kisses.  I'm don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I do enjoy these cookies.  These kisses start showing up sometime around the end of October/the first of November and usually stick around until about Christmas.  I wasn't able to find them last year at my local grocery stores, but I did find them at Walgreen's and Wal-Mart.  The great all by themselves, but they really make a great cookie.  And the kisses freeze well, too.  I usually buy about a dozen bags so I can make a batch a month and they keep just fine. 

So start keeping an eye and and try these delicious seasonal cookies.

ESPRESSO MINT COOKIES (makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies)

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp table salt)
1 3/4 cup AP flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and swept
1 Tbsp instant espresso granules (usually found in the coffee aisle next to instant coffee, but I had to go to my local Earthfare store to find it this year.....also available on-line)
1 (8 oz) bag Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses, coarsely chopped (I cut off the tip and then quarter the base)

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.

Cream the butter and sugar.  This will take a few minutes.

Beat in the egg and the vanilla.

Combine the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture.  Fold in the chopped kisses.

Drop by heaping Tbsp (.75 oz/20 gms) onto the lined cookie sheets.  Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges but still looking a bit soft in the middle.


No comments:

Post a Comment