Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sweet and Sour Shrimp and Scallops


Looking for just about the quickest and easiest mid-week dinner ever?  Not to mention, really, really good?  Here ya go.

I thought I had scallops in the freezer but I didn't.  Also, since I'm here by myself, I halved the recipe.  So I left out the scallops and used a 12-oz bag of frozen, then thawed, shell-on shrimp (saving the shells, of course, for making shrimp stock later down the road).  Outside of that, I followed the recipe as stated.  I was unsure how the sweet and sour sauce would work, but it came out great.

The only prep work I had to do was to shell the shrimp, mince the ginger, and chop the scallions.  This dish was ready in about 10 minutes.

SWEET and SOUR SHRIMP and SCALLOPS (6 servings)

1 lb scallops
12 oz fresh shrimp (31-35 or 40-51s), peeled and deveined
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 packs shrimp-flavored Ramen noodles, partially broken
1 (20 oz) bag frozen Asian stir-fry vegetable mix
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 cups water
1 cup sweet and sour sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh scallions

Season the scallops and shrimp with black pepper.  Pour the oil into a wok or large skillet set over high heat.  Add the scallops and cook for 3 minutes, constantly tossing.  Add the shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes.  Remove the scallops and shrimp and place them into a small bowl.  Set aside.

Add the broken noodles, noodle seasoning packages, frozen vegetables, garlic powder, ginger, and water to the wok or skillet.  Cook, stirring constantly, for 5-6 minutes, or until the noodles and vegetables are tender.

Add the sweet and sour sauce and the shrimp and scallops back into the wok.  Toss until everything is evenly coated with the sauce.  Remove the pan from the heat.  Top with scallions and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment