Friday, October 3, 2014

Vegan Pasta Salad




We have a Seventh Day Adventist University (Southern Adventist University) just a few miles from us.  They have a wonderful vegetarian market and whenever I'm there, I always pick up a small container of their macaroni salad.  It's quite simple and I had tried to replicate it more than once but never could come close.

So this last time I took a closer look at the ingredient list on the salad.  And there is was: vegennaise, not mayonnaise.  And also some ranch dressing mix stirred into that.  So I picked up a jar and viola!  It made all of the difference in the world.  It's not as thick and creamy as traditional mayonnaise but still gives a nice spread.

The amounts are certainly adjustable.  I think when my herbs come back next year, some fresh dill would be a nice addition.  Simply mix everything together and add more or less of what you like.

VEGAN PASTA SALAD (makes about 3 1/2 cups)

4 oz small tube pasta (elbows, mini penne), cooked according to package directions
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup sliced black olives, drained and patted dry
2 Tbsp diced green peppers
2 Tbsp diced red peppers
1/4 finely minced celery
1/4 cup vegan nayonaise sandwich spread (I bought Nasoya brand)
2 tsp dried ranch dressing mix
S&P to taste

Mix cooked pasta and vegetables together.  Mix mayo and dressing mix until well-blended.  Add to pasta mixture.  Chill until ready to serve.

Recipe Source: adapted from the ingredients list from Macaroni Salad, The Village Market, Collegedale, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment