Friday, January 23, 2015

Corn Chowder

Well, once again my photos won't load.  I was hoping it might have had something to do with the batteries since they needed replacing, but that wasn't it.  The photos still will go onto the computer, I just can't get them to post here.  So thank you for your patience.  As soon as Jim gets home, I'll see if he can figure it out.

Until then, I'd been saving my ham bone thinking I wanted to do something other than bean soup and had focused on corn chowder.  However, when I saw this recipe in one of my Moosewood cookbooks "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest," I thought this would be the one to try, sans ham or bacon.

And I must say, it's mighty delicious.  And simple.  No traditional thickener or roux, except pureed corn.  The flavor is wonderful.  I did double the amount of dried thyme and basil and also added some smoked paprika to an individual bowl of chowder (not to the whole pot).  I loved with plain and with the paprika.

The author, Mollie Katzen, did make a note about the evaporated milk, "I like to use this as often as possible in place of cream as it imparts a deep, rich flavor with much less butterfat.  Low-fat evaporated milk is also available, and also good.  The reduces the butterfat level even further."  I used regular evaporated milk with outstanding results.

CORN CHOWDER (3-4 servings)

2 Tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup minced celery
1 sweet red pepper, minced
4 cups frozen or fresh corn (about 4-5 ears of corn)
S&P to taste
1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 to 1 tsp dried basil
smoked paprika to taste, optional
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock, or water
1 cup evaporated milk (or regular milk)

In a medium-sized saucepan or a stockpot, saute the onions and celery in the butter for about 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat until they reach the tenderness you desire.  Add chopped red peppers and corn.

Add seasonings, stir well, and cover.  Reduce heat, let it cook 5 minutes.

Add stock.  Cover and simmer about 10 mintues.  Using a blender or food processor, puree about half the solids in some of the soup's own liquid.

About 10 minutes before serving time, add the milk.  Don't actually cook the soup any further, simply heat it, gently, to eating temperature.

Recipe Source: "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Mollie Katzen, 1982, p. 24

No comments:

Post a Comment