Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015


 

2015.  Can you believe it?  Jim and I were talking about the passing of time and remembering the futuristic sounding "1984" and "2001."  If you're our age, you must remember those dates coming and going and feeling that time just goes faster and faster. 


But back to the present.  I was thinking the other day why many people make New Year's resolutions.  A new year and new beginnings.  Start with a clean slate.  I"m 54-years-old and after more resolutions made and broken than I care to remember, I hung up that tradition some time ago.

But it didn't stop me from examining the last year.  I've gotten a wee bit lax in posting at least five times a week, and I'm really anxious to get back on the ball.  This is my favorite season of the year because it's great cooking weather.  I love spending hours in the kitchen but until Jim is home for good, it's tough to cook just for myself and not have hoards of leftovers which I end up either getting tired of or feeding to the dogs (The Girls vote for Option B)!  I was talking to my friend, Donna, some time ago and looking at my cookbook collection (I have no idea how many) and told her I'd love to do a "Julie & Julia" project and try to cook at least one recipe from each book.  My goal would be to get through 5 books a week.  I really want to get started, but it may be slow going until Jim is home and I have someone to cook for.

That's may semi-resolution for 2015.  I'm going to start on the top shelf and work my way down.  I love my cookbooks and look forward to trying new things (hopefully most will be successful, but I'll share them with you either way it goes!)

But for today, it's black-eyed peas, greens (cole slaw for Jim), and cornbread.  For more on this Southern tradition, see:

www.timesfreepress.com/news/life/entertainment/story/2014/dec/31/beansngreens/280269/

So happy cooking and eating in 2015!  Best Wishes for your 2015 goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment