Monday, January 5, 2015

Peppery Parsnips


I had never heard of, much less eaten, a parsnip until I ran across that incredible "Parsnip and Spinach Soup Dijon" (see 12-2-14 post) years ago (I wish I knew where the recipe came from).  I make the soup for special occasions or for fancy dinners.  But I had never just eaten a parsnip by itself.  So when I ran across this recipe a few months ago, I knew I had to try it.

BINGO!  This pungent root really mellows in this recipe.  That incredible flavor is still there, but caramelizes in the butter.  Recipe states that it serves four, but I ate the entire batch for dinner all by myself for tonight!

PEPPERY PARSNIPS (4 servings)

1 pound parsnips, peeled
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
S&P to taste

Cut parsnips in half crosswise (where they go from fat to narrow).  Quarter narrow pieces lengthwise, and cut fatter pieces lengthwise into french-fry strips.  Put parsnips in a saucepan, cover with salted water, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until parsnips are tender, 10-20 minutes depending on size of strips.  Drain well and pat dry.

Melt butter in a 12" skillets over medium heat then arrange parsnips in hot butter in an even layer.  Season generously with S&P.  Cook parsnips until lightly golden brown on both sides, 3-5 minutes per side.

Recipe Source:  All Recipes magazine, December/January 2015, p. 98




No comments:

Post a Comment