Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Corned Beef with Carrots and Potatoes (and Cabbage)


Did you do a traditional St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage?  I certainly did.  Every year I have to ask myself why I only make it once a year.  I love corned beef and cabbage.  Maybe it's that seasonal/holiday thing like only having eggnog at Christmastime.

Regardless, it's one of the things I adore about this time of year.  I have found in the last few years that my favorite brand, hands-down, is Groebbels (vs. Murphy & David which are usually these only two choices in these parts).  And I generally use either the crock pot or pressure cooker with outstanding results (adding the vegetables at the end of the cooking time).  

But when I saw this recipe in our local paper a few weeks prior to SPD, I thought I'd try this elevated approach.   It includes adding extra spices (including a specialty spice blend), bay leaves, allspice berries, mustard, and beer.  Their recipe called for fingerling potatoes, but I had some large red potatoes on hand which I simply quartered.  Also, they did not call for the added cabbage but, come on, what's SPD with corned beef and cabbage?

CORNED BEEF with CARROTS and POTATOES (and Cabbage) (servings depend on size of corned beef)

1 packaged corned beef brisket with seasoning packet (as big or small as your family needs)
4 dried bay leaves
8 whole allspice berries
1 Tbsp of Kitchen Creole's Black Rose spice blend (available online)
1 onion, sliced
2 stalks celery
4 large whole cloves garlic
2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
1 bottle Dark Stout Guiness beer or other dark lager
1 1/2 bottle of water
Fingerling potatoes, leave whole
Carrots, cut in large chunks (I used small baby carrots)
1/2 or whole head of cabbage, quartered, optional

Place bay leaves, berries, kitchen creole, onion, celery, and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker.  Place corned beef fat side up on top of mixture, along with seasoning packet.

Spread mustard on top of brisket, along with more kitchen creole.  Pour in beer and water.  Cover and set to low heat for about 5 hours; at that time check to see if brisket is tender.  If it's tender, leave it in the cook and add potatoes and carrots (and cabbage, if adding).  

Turn heat to high and continue to cook for 45 minutes (test beef and vegetables, add more time if necessary).

When ready to serve, remove beef and let it sit for several minutes before slicing.  Serve with vegetables.  Serve with butter/more mustard/and/or horseradish sauce.

Recipe Source:  www.timesfreepress.com/news/life/entertainment/story/2015/mar/04/courtes-kitchen-low-n-slow-corned-beef-simple-make-packed-flavors-and-good-several-meals/291186/

No comments:

Post a Comment