Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sharon's Fabulous Tomato Chicken


Greetings, Friends!  So glad you stuck around during my absence.  But I'm back in the kitchen with some great new recipes.  And this one is at the top of my list.

I was fortunate to be able to spend a night with my friend, Sharon, when I was in Oklahoma City.  It was, unfortantely, just for one night and I had thought we might go out to dinner.  But she told me she had planned to make dinner so what could I say?  I would never, ever turn down a meal at her home.  And I knew I was in for a treat when I got to her front door and the aroma wafted through her screen door.

Sharon, however, is one of those "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" cooks and so her recipes are a touch of this and a tad of that, or you could try something different!  So I did the best I could to duplicate hers and think I came pretty darn close.

This is so, so simple and oh-so-good.  I think she told me she got this original Weight Watcher's recipe from a friend.  I almost always use skinless, boneless chicken breasts, but she had used thighs and they were so tender after simmering in the sauce that I stuck with her choice.

The amounts I have below are what I used.  This is a small batch since there are just the two of us, so adjust according to how many servings you'll need (or make extra in case you like this as much as I did).  You can use tomato soup (any kind, prepared.....not condensed) in lieu of the tomato sauce.  Onion and pepper amounts are also a guestimate......add more or less to your liking.  And you really must serve this over mashed potatoes......this simple sauce makes the best gravy.

SHARON'S FABULOUS TOMATO CHICKEN (2 servings)

8 oz skinless, boneless chicken thigh, cut into bite-sized pieces
14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes, chopped up
8 oz tomato sauce or tomato soup
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh parsley
garlic powder, to taste
S&P to taste
mashed potatoes

In a skillet or electric pan, brown the chicken on both sides.  Remove.  Saute onions, pepper and garlic until tender.  Add tomatoes and tomato sauce or soup, garlic powder, and S&P.  Put seared chicken back into the mix.  Simmer covered about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve over mashed potatoes.

Recipe Source: Sharon Davis, Oklahoma City

No comments:

Post a Comment