Monday, April 27, 2015

Spangwich


Years ago (2004) there was an Adam Sandler/Tea Leoni film called "Spanglish."  If you didn't see it, don't rush out and get it.  A truly unremarkable film.  In fact, I don't think I even watched it until the end.  However, Adam Sandler (as a chef in the film) made a sandwich that not only stuck in my mind, but apparently many others due to the many different versions of this sandwich I found on-line (look at Pinterest, for example).

Therefore, I don't really have a true recipe here, but simply some possibilities to choose from.  The one non-negotiable ingredient, however, is the egg (and for me, the pesto).  And every recipe I looked at called for a runny egg (but if you, like my husband, would rather dance with a cobra than eat a runny egg, I won't tell if you use a hard-fried egg.....just don't call it a Spangwich!)

SPANGWICH

Toasted bread slices (whole grain, artisan country bread, sourdough, your choice)
Mayo
Pesto
Cooked bacon
Sliced deli turkey
Sliced cheese, your choice (gouda, cheddar, Swiss, provolone, Jack, etc)
Avocado
Tomato slices
Leaf lettuce 
Butter (if toasting bread in a toaster oven or under a broiler)
Egg, cooked over-easy

No comments:

Post a Comment