Sunday, August 28, 2016

Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip





This is a great, easy dip recipe to have on hand.  I make a batch and then just heat up a single serving each time.  I've had mine in the fridge for a couple of weeks and it bakes up nicely.

There are many variations on Artichoke Spinach Dip.  This is a great basic recipe to which you can make many changes.  The only thing I changed was to add a can of water chestnuts (chopped) simply because I like the which crunch it adds.

A tip to myself:  a 10 oz package of frozen, chopped spinach can be drained and pressed dry and then divided into four 1/2 cup portions and refrozen.  So I can make four batches out of one package of spinach.  And a note to others:  If you can find them, try using artichoke bottoms instead of hearts (Reese's brand is what I was able to get).  They're all meat and don't have those annoying spiky leafs you'll get in cans/jars of artichoke hearts.  Publix was good enough to special-order them for me.

HOT ARTICHOKE AND SPINACH DIP

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (I use reduced-fat)
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup Parmesan and/or Romano shredded cheese
1 tsp chopped fresh garlic
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 (14 oz) can artichoke bottoms or hearts
1/2 cup frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 can water chestnuts, chopped, optional
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350F (175C).  Lightly grease a small baking dish (I used my NuWave oven and baked for about 12 minutes).

In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayo, cheese(s), garlic, basil, garlic salt, S&P to taste.  Gently stir in artichokes, spinach and chestnuts (if using).  Either sprinkle in the mozzarella on top after putting into baking dish or (if making individual portions) stir it into the mixture.

Transfer the mixture to the baking dish.  Top with mozz.  Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment