Thursday, August 25, 2016

Zucchini and Squash Bake


I wish I could remember where I originally saw this recipe because I adjusted it to use what I had on hand.  And incredibly, it came out wonderfully (I say this because I'm not particularly good at changing up recipes).

When I mixed it up (it was still warm) I thought it was good as it was.  But the recipe I was working from said to bake it for an hour.  So I did bake the next serving and it was even better!

This amount made about 4 single servings.  I think it would also be good to add some pasta sauce and use only mozzarella (omitting the Velveeta and cheddar).  I added a bit of anise seed because the Italian sausage I used didn't have enough flavor for my taste.

ZUCCHINI and SQUASH BAKE (4 servings)

8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 small onion, diced
4 oz Italian sausage, crumbled
1 small zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
16 grape or cherry tomatoes
2 oz Velveeta
1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
1 1/2-2 cups cooked rice
1/8 to 1/4 tsp anise seed, optional

Saute the mushrooms in equal amounts of EVOO and butter until cooked.  Set aside.

Saute onion and Italian sausage until sausage is cooked.  Add zucchini, squash, and tomatoes.  Saute until until vegetables are cooked.  Stir in cooked mushrooms.  Add Velveeta, mozzarella, and cheddar.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cooked rice and anise seed.

Bake at 350 for about an hour.




No comments:

Post a Comment