Monday, September 5, 2016

Mustard Potato Salad


This recipe is kind of a note to myself.  I don't think I've ever made potato salad the same way.....it's always off-the-cuff and sometimes it's pretty good and sometimes is only so-so.  This batch came off quite good and, if nothing else, is a great basic recipe to start with and alter it to your tastes.

A few notes.  Generally I prefer red-skinned potatoes, but I have a bag of russets that need to be used.  Also, sometimes I do like a Miracle Whip-based dressing, but I usually stick with mayo.  Also, the recipe I worked from (I think it was in allrecipes.com, but can't find it right now) called for dill pickles).  I only had hamburger chips, so that's what I used.  The mustard I used was dill mustard, a yellow-mustard with dried dill weed (the brand is Silver Springs.  A plain yellow mustard would just fine.  I generally boil the potatoes, but this time I had the oven on and so I just baked the potatoes.

One last thing, I don't like too much dressing.  This amount was a bit more than I used.  So if you're like me, you won't need this much (I ended up making up another batch of potatoes, eggs, onions, and celery to use it up).

Again for me, this is a great basic recipe to start with.  Fine tune it to your tastes and/or what you have on hand.

POTATO SALAD  (3-4 servings)

6 small potatoes (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds), cooked and cubed
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 large stalk of celery, finely chopped
sweet onion, chopped

DRESSING
1/2 cup mayo (I use 1/2 regular, 1/2 reduced-fat)
3 + Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp pickle juice
6 hamburger pickle chips, chopped (or 1/4 cup dill relish in lieu of juice and chips)
S&P to taste
celery seed to taste
Cajun seasoning to taste (I use Nunu's)

Whisk dressing ingredients.  Check seasonings.

Stir dressing into potato mixture until coated as you like.  (If I'm going to have the salad around for a few days, I mix the dressing into the salad at time of serving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment